Whether you’re the expectant parent, aunt, uncle, or grandparent of a new bundle of joy—congratulations! This is an exciting time. With a little one on the way, there are certainly a lot of decisions to be made when it comes to outfitting the nursery.
From nursery furniture and décor to cribs and bedding, there’s so much out there for expecting parents to consider. We know how overwhelming it can be navigating all these options—which is why we created this Ultimate Guide to Nursery Products and Supplies.
We’ve put together a comprehensive resource full of helpful tips and insights into all the different pieces you need for your growing family’s newest addition. Read on to find out what the must-haves are and get some inspiration for setting up that perfect nursery space.
Cribs and Mattresses: Choosing a Safe Sleep Environment
When preparing for a newborn, one of the most important items you will need to consider is a crib, as this will be the baby’s primary place to sleep. With all the options available on the market today, it can be overwhelming to find the right fit for your little one. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing the right crib and mattress:
- **Safety**: Make sure any product you purchase meets current safety standards and has not been recalled.
- **Crib Type**: Consider whether you want a traditional crib, a convertible crib that can turn into a toddler bed, or even a travel crib if you plan on traveling with your baby.
- **Mattress**: Look for mattresses that are firm and have snug-fitting sheets.
Making sure you create a safe sleep environment for your newborn is essential to keeping them safe and healthy during their sleeping hours. By keeping these tips in mind and doing research on material certifications and safety standards, you can make an informed decision about which products are best for your family’s needs.
Baby Monitors: Keeping an Eye on Your Little One
When it comes to monitoring your baby's safety, there is no substitute for a quality baby monitor. From basic audio monitors to high-tech video monitors, these devices can help keep you in touch with your little one while they sleep.
Some of the features to look for when choosing a baby monitor include:
* A remote audio or visual feature, so you can listen or watch from another room;
* Two-way audio communication, so your little one can hear you and vice versa;
* Temperature monitoring, which can alert you when the nursery is too hot or cold;
* Night vision for seeing in the dark; and
* Movement sensing/activity tracking, which allows you to keep a closer eye on your baby during sleep.
No matter which monitors you choose, remember that it is just one way of keeping your little one safe. To ensure the health and well-being of your child, be sure that they are always supervised while in their crib or bed and practise safe sleeping habits.
Diapering Essentials: Diapers, Wipes and Changing Pads
Diapering is an essential part of caring for a newborn. And having the right supplies makes all the difference. Here are the must-haves:
The number one necessity when it comes to diapering is diapers! You'll want to choose diapers that work with your lifestyle and offer features such as softness, absorbency and durability. Make sure to consider sizes and other features like hypoallergenic materials and leak protection, as well as price points.
No nursery should be without wipes! Look for wipes that are soft and gentle on baby's delicate skin, yet strong enough for big messes. Whether you prefer scented or unscented, flushable or 100% biodegradable options, there's a perfect option available for every need.
- Changing Pads
Last but not least, you'll want to make sure you have an appropriate changing surface - preferably one that is waterproof and easy to clean. Changing pads not only provide a comfortable spot to place baby during diaper changes, they also help keep your surfaces safe from leakage and spills!
Bottles and Bottle Feeding Supplies: Everything You Need to Feed Your Baby
Having all the right supplies on hand is essential to bottle-feeding your baby. It can be overwhelming to try and figure out what you need, but with this guide, you'll have everything you need in a fraction of the time.
The three key components of any bottle-feeding setup include:
- **Bottles** - Choose from a variety of materials like plastic, glass or silicone in different sizes and shapes. You should pick bottles with wide necks for easy cleaning and wide bottoms for stability.
- **Bottle Nipples** - Look for nipples made from silicone that are both soft and flexible yet still firm enough to keep their shape. Choose a nipple with the right size hole depending on your baby's age as well as how quickly they drink their milk.
- **Other Feeding Supplies** - This includes bottle brushes, drying racks and dishwashers safe containers designed to store cleaned bottles between feedings.
Once you've got your bottles, nipples and other supplies, it's time to get ready to feed your baby!
Baby Clothing and Layette: Dressing Your Newborn in Comfort and Style
The first few weeks (or in some cases, months) of your baby's life will be spent in the comfort of their own room, so it's important that they have the right outfit for every occasion. Whether you're headed out for a family picnic or taking your newborn for a check-up with the doctor, you'll find the perfect clothing and accessories for your needs.
When it comes to clothing and layette supplies, there are a few key items you'll want to make sure are on hand. Here's what you'll need:
- Bodysuits: Soft and stretchy cotton bodysuits keep your baby warm and comfortable. Look for options with built-in mittens and booties for extra protection from the elements.
- Sleepers: From longjohns to footless rompers, sleepers come in many sizes and styles - perfect for keeping your baby cosy during nap time or overnight sleep.
- Outerwear: In cooler seasons, it may be necessary to invest in an assortment of outerwear pieces such as jackets, sleep bags and fleece blankets. Look out for details such as snap button closures, foot pockets, and UV protection to give your little one extra comfort and protection.
Equipping yourself with these must-have items is a great way to make sure that your baby is fully prepared when they step out into the world!
Baby Care and Grooming Products: Bath Time, Diaper Rash Creams and Lotions
No nursery would be complete without quality baby care and grooming products. From bath time necessities and diaper rash creams to lotions and oils, here's your go-to guide to the best items for keeping your little one looking and feeling great.
- Bathing Accessories
When it comes to bath time, having the right gear is key. Look for a gentle, tear-free baby shampoo and body wash that won’t irritate delicate skin. A soft sponge or washcloth to lather up your little one can make a world of difference—not to mention providing some entertainment during the process! And a quality baby bathtub is an absolute must for safely washing your kiddo without risking a slippery accident.
- Diaper Rash Creams & Lotions
This is another area where quality matters. Look for diaper rash creams that have natural ingredients such as shea butter, beeswax, zinc oxide, and aloe vera. Natural lotions composed of ingredients like almond oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E are also great options for soothing irritated skin while keeping baby's skin soft and hydrated.
These products may seem like small details in the larger nursery checklist – but they're worth taking into consideration when it comes to keeping your little one happy, healthy and comfortable!
With so much to choose from and so much to think about, it’s important to take the time to research and consider all your options before you make any decisions when it comes to your baby’s nursery. We hope this guide has given you some insight into nursery products, from cribs and mattresses to furniture and décor, and has equipped you with the knowledge you need to pick out the perfect items for your little one’s bedroom. With the right pieces in place, you’ll have a beautiful and comfortable nursery that your baby will love and enjoy for many years to come. Check out our range of products here at For Your Little One!