Congratulations! Your baby is here and feeding time is an exciting part of your new routine. But although feeding your little one is an amazing experience, it can be a struggle to make sure both you and your baby stay comfortable for the duration of each session.
That’s where nursing pillows come in! These sloped, curved cushions are designed specifically to provide support during breastfeeding, preventing physical strain and making it easier to nurse comfortably in any position. Nursing pillows can also help keep your baby securely in place while they feed, without the need for extra pillows or blankets.
In this article, we'll explore how nursing pillows work, why you should use them, and which ones are best for you and your baby's needs. Keep reading to find out how these cushy helpers will make your breastfeeding experience a cinch!
What Is a Nursing Pillow?
What is a nursing pillow and why are they so popular among new parents? Nursing pillows are the most versatile, comfortable, and convenient way to give your baby a comfortable place to rest their little body while you feed them. They provide a cushion between baby and mother, helping to keep their body aligned while they nurse. The padding also provides added support, as a baby can often be difficult to position without proper support.
Not only do nursing pillows provide extra support for both you and your infant, but they also can make product life easier for you. With features like adjustable straps or built-in pockets, you can find nursing pillows designed for easy carrying when on the go. This makes it easier for active moms who need to move around or travel with their babies and still have access to all their feeding essentials.
Other features that you may find in today's nursing pillows include slipcovers that are machine washable, breathable material so that your little one remains cool, removable liners for easy cleaning, and additional padding made from memory foam or cotton batting that offers extra comfort and cushioning.
Types of Nursing Pillows Available
When it comes to breastfeeding, nursing pillows provide comfort and convenience for both you and your baby. The type of pillow you choose depends on your preference, needs, and style.
Here are some popular nursing pillow types available:
* Traditional U-Shaped Pillow – This all-in-one design comfortably supports baby, mom, and dad’s back while feeding. It is lightweight and portable, making it a convenient option for travelling with your newborn.
* Multi-Use Breastfeeding Pillow – This versatile pillow can be positioned in various ways to provide a comfortable experience when nursing. It also provides support for bottle-feeding moms or dads who want to lend a helping hand.
* Boppy Wedge – This wedge-shaped pillow helps to prop up the baby during feedings and can also be used while tummy time or playtime activities.
* Compact Pillows – These pillows are perfect for moms who need extra support but don’t have the room for a full-size nursing pillow. They come in many shapes, sizes, colours, and materials so you can find the one that fits exactly what you need and your style!
* Twin-Nursing Pillows – Designed to offer back support whilst assisting in breastfeeding, this u-shaped pillow is a fantastic choice for new mums. This body pillow is super soft and comfortable, thanks to its pliable material. The feeding cushion also offers great support during pregnancy, which means not just your kids, you will also love this super soft and comfortable bottle feed pillow.
No matter what type of nursing pillow you choose, it will help make feeding easier for both mom and baby.
Benefits of Using a Nursing Pillow
Nursing pillows are designed to give the perfect support for both mom and baby during the feeding process. Not only does it make for a comfortable position for mom and baby, but it also helps reduce pain in the arms and back, allowing for a more successful feeding experience.
Here are some of the other benefits you can expect from using a nursing pillow:
- Adjustability: Most nursing pillows come with adjustable straps so you can adjust them to fit your body perfectly, eliminating any slippage while feeding.
- Comfort: Plush fabric and supportive padding provide optimal comfort and cushioning, allowing your baby to be supported without discomfort.
- Versatility: Nursing pillows can be used not only for breastfeeding but also as a seating or sleeping support for infants.
- Durability: With proper care, most nursing pillows are designed to last through multiple children and countless feedings.
Choosing the Right Nursing Pillow for You
Having the right nursing pillow is essential for both comfort and convenience. There are a few things you'll want to consider when selecting the right nursing pillow for you.
The material of your nursing pillow should be soft, breathable, and lightweight. A good quality fabric also helps to add more comfort when nursing, while still being supportive.
The size of the nursing pillow should be determined by your body size and shape. If you have a larger torso, then you will need a larger pillow to make breastfeeding comfortable. And it's important to make sure that the nursing pillow is wide enough to support your baby's back as well as your arms and shoulders.
- Washable Cover
A washable cover is invaluable since it ensures that you can keep your nursing pillow clean, thus preventing any infection or illness from spreading. A removable cover also provides you with the convenience of easily changing the fabric if necessary.
Proper Use and Care of Nursing Pillow
Using a nursing pillow generally isn't difficult, but there are a few tips to keep in mind. The most important is to ensure the product is clean and free of any dirt or bacteria that could potentially harm your baby.
It's best to hand-wash the covers of the pillow with warm water and mild detergent, then air dry. If needed, you can also machine-wash the cover on a delicate cycle, as long as it's not cotton or wool. If washing your nursing pillow cover isn't an option, consider using a steam disinfectant or wiping down the surface of the pillow with an all-natural cleaner between uses.
When not in use, your nursing pillow should be stored in a dry place away from any opening windows or doors where dust and harsh sunlight can enter. Additionally, make sure it remains out of reach of pets or other curious children who may try to play with it. With proper use and care, your nursing pillow can provide you and your baby with comfort and convenience for many years to come!
Tips for Getting the Best Results With Nursing Pillows
Nursing pillows can help make breastfeeding easier and more comfortable - but only if you use them correctly. Here are some tips to ensure you get the best results with your nursing pillow:
- Positioning: When using a nursing pillow, remember that its main purpose is to support the baby while they feed, so make sure that the pillow is securely in place and positioned correctly. You should make sure that your baby’s head is at or slightly above your breast level for optimal comfort and convenience.
- Adjustability: Most nursing pillows are adjustable, which allows you to change the angle of the pillow for better positioning and a more comfortable feeding experience for both you and your baby.
- Support & Positioning: Nursing pillows are designed to provide extra support for both you and baby, allowing them to remain in an upright position even as they feed. As always, make sure that your baby’s neck is properly supported when using a nursing pillow – an awkward angle can cause fatigue or discomfort during feeding sessions.
Nursing pillows offer unparalleled comfort and convenience to both mom and baby during feeding time. Not only do they provide support to the mom’s arms, but they also make it easier for the mom’s back and shoulders, while at the same time lifting the baby to the perfect height for feeding. Best of all, nursing pillows come in a range of sizes, styles, and materials to ensure that mom and baby have optimal support during feeding time.
Whether you’re a new mom looking for a way to make breastfeeding and bottle-feeding more convenient or a parent who’s been through it all, investing in a nursing pillow is an investment you won’t regret. Not only will it make feeding time easier for you, but it will also make feeding time more enjoyable for the baby, too. Check the range of our nursing pillows at For Your Little One.